South African salads for lunch and dinner:
South African Curried Banana Salad
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 red onions (thinly sliced)
- 3 tomatoes (seeded and sliced)4 ounces balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 2 ounces apricot jam6 bananas (firm ripe)saltpepper
- 1 pound fresh spinach
How to prepare
- add olive oil to frying pan and heat on medium heat.
- add onions and sweat for 8 minutes.
- add tomatoes and heat until saucy.
- combine vinegar, cornstarch, sugar and curry powder and bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- add jam and combine with tomato mixture.
- allow to cool and reserve until ready to complete salad.
- add mixture to bananas and serve over a bed of fresh spinach.
South African Potato Salad
Ingredients (Can serve 10 people):
- 10 eggs
- 12 potatoes (medium white, with skin)
- 1 bunch green onions (chopped)
- 14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- 1 1/2 cups mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley (chopped, for garnish, optional)
How to Prepare
- Place eggs in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil and cook for 10 minutes. Remove eggs with a slotted spoon and set aside to cool. Add whole potatoes to the water and boil until a knife is easily inserted, but they are not too soft. Drain and cool.
- Peel and chop the eggs and place them in a large serving bowl. Stir in the green onions. When the potatoes have cooled, peel and chop then add them to the bowl. Pour in the sweetened condensed milk and stir in the mayonnaise. Sprinkle parley over the top. Chill until serving. This is best served chilled.
How long it takes:
- Prep20 m
- Cook20 m
- Ready In40 m