DGMAH was initially a regional hospital, tertiary services were added subsequent to the establishment of Medical University of South Africa (MEDUNSA) in 1974, to which DGMAH serves as the health sciences teaching platform.
DGMAH gained academic status in 2011 which was followed by the establishment of the new Sefako Makgatho Health Sciences University (SMU), building on the legacy of the old Medunsa.
DGMAH is also a teaching platform for the Ga-Rankuwa Nursing College.
DGMAH has a total of 1652 approved beds and the drainage\catchment area population is 1 200 000 (Census 2011)referral system Number of building sites.
A centre of excellence, providing efficient and accessible healthcare services.
To provide quality health care service to North Western part of Tshwane district, Limpopo and Northwest Province
To train health professionals in undergraduate and postgraduate.
To provide a conducive platform for relevant health research and development.